The amount of recipes I post isn't particularly representative of how much I bake and cook, however whenever I make a recipe I think other people might enjoy I try to share it! Yesterday I made a chicken salad sandwich for my dad and had forgotten how much I enjoy them. Using chickpeas I created a similar alternative that tastes great and is still a good source of protein. While this is a good alternative to chicken salad for vegetarians, it's actually pretty healthy for everyone! Here's a link to some dietary info on chickpeas. The gist is that one cup of chickpeas has 4g of fat, 12g of dietary fiber, and 15g of protein. This recipe makes at most two sandwiches or one sandwich and some cracker spread ;)
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked and rinsed
- 2 tbsp diced tomato
- 1-2 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- 1 tbsp dill or sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1-2 tbsp light mayonnaise (less if you're using regular mayo!)
- salt and pepper
- optional: 1 tbsp diced sweet onion
- In a food processor, pulse the peas until they're about 75% smooth. This can also be done with a potato masher, fork, or mixer if that's more convenient.
- In a bowl, add rest of the ingredients (besides bread slices) to the chickpeas and stir until combined. Sometimes I add a little garlic and onion powder as well to add a bit more flavor.
- Spread a bit of mayonnaise (or flavored cream cheese!) on a slice of bread and pile on the chickpea salad. Finish off with the other slice or leave it off for an open faced sandwich.
I've also posted an avocado chicken salad sandwich recipe!
Thanks for reading!
xo Follow my blog with Bloglovin