Wednesday, March 12

Homemade Avocado Hair Mask


This hair mask is my go-to. It's really easy and fast and I can definitely see a difference in my hair. This is because the oil in avocados strengthen, deep condition, and add shine to hair. Egg yolk helps hold the hair mask ingredients together, makes your hair more manageable, and also makes it less prone to breakage. Olive oil is also very beneficial: it reduces frizz, adds shine (like avocado and egg yolk), and softens hair. I also love that it's natural and I can pronounce all of the ingredients, unlike a lot of deep conditioners I've tried.

| DIRECTIONS |

  • 1 small avocado (my hair is waist length and that's more than enough)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (you could probably use coconut oil instead)
Start off by slicing a small avocado in half. Next, cut each half into small slices and scoop them out into a blender, food processor, or bowl. Separate the egg yolk from the white and add just the yolk to the avocado. Lastly, add 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. The more natural the better! "Now you blend and blend and blend. Blending is the secret" (if you recognize that quote, bonus points will be awarded). If you're like me though, you'll want to blend this thing like crazy. I'm not a fan of getting avocado chunks in my hair. The end product should have a consistency something like a regular deep conditioning hair mask. When I take this out of my blender, I always remove the bottom and make sure I get everything from under the blades. There's usually some lingering olive oil, so I just stir it in to the hair mask and it blends in just fine. It may looks something like this.
Now you just apply it to your hair. Start at the top and work your way down to the ends. I don't put this on my scalp, but I do put it up almost to the root. I basically put it anywhere that has flyaways, which is practically everywhere. Once I've applied it all over I go in with more and focus on the ends of my hair and really work it in to make sure everything is coated well. Then, put a shower cap on and sit around for 20-30 minutes. When you hop in the shower to rinse this off, make sure you don't use hot water since there's egg in this. Rinse with warm water, then shampoo and condition like normal.
Thanks for reading! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read comments and try to reply to any questions!